[Rubyinstaller-devel] musings

Roger Pack rogerpack2005 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 26 12:42:56 EST 2009

>> I suppose one thing people could do [if it were possible] is specify a
>> windows dependency of the devkit gem if they don't want to have to
>> compile it themselves [and if it works].
> Please apologize but I fully don't understand your statement. Can you
> rephrase it?

I was thinking out loud that for gems that compile out of the box in a
mingw environment, they could add a dependency to the devkit gem [then
the author's wouldn't have to worry about cross compiling their own
binary extensions--i.e. it would be a useful gem for authors].

re: trouble compiling

I have had trouble building them, too.

Typically I have had success building them if I use the daily snapshot
or the 187p72.tar.gz download.  I haven't tried the preview releases.
It is too bad that trunk requires autoconf version > 1.60, so am
forced to use the snapshots [ugh].

Not that I want 187 more than 186 at all.  Unless the MBARI patches
make their way to 187 only and not 186, then I would prefer the

A question:

with 187p72 build I get
01/21/2009  04:41 PM        17,290,874 libmsvcrt-ruby18-static.a
which is a rather large file--I'd guess that's expected? [and with 1.9
it's something like 30MB].