[Rubyinstaller-devel] musings

Luis Lavena luislavena at gmail.com
Sun Jan 25 17:57:50 EST 2009

On Sat, Jan 24, 2009 at 7:13 PM, Roger Pack <rogerpack2005 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> The idea of rake-compiler reduce the need for me to tackle projects
>> and provide Windows gems. I thought will be much better option and
>> more sustainable in the long run.
>>
>> It also will play nice with some things I'm playing with, like
>> building One-Click Installer almost fully from Linux.
>
> Nice :)
> I suppose one thing people could do [if it were possible] is specify a
> windows dependency of the devkit gem if they don't want to have to
> compile it themselves [and if it works].

Please apologize but I fully don't understand your statement. Can you
rephrase it?

>>> is this expected?
>>>

>> maybe there is something during patch, which version is trying to
>> patch? p114? p287?
>
> This was with straight git clone then rake--I assume that's 114?

Yes, p114 was the altest one, but the way it applies the patches was
not perfect.

> I am wondering if it would be possible to publish "alpha" releases,
> like mingw OCI 1.8.7, 1.9.1 preview2, etc.
> Just mark them as alpha and warn people about them.
> Thoughts?
> -=r

Neither 1.8.7 or 1.9.1-preview2 builds properly for me (native or
cross-compiling).

Opened some tickets that got addressed.

I have no interest in 1.8.7, honestly. 1.8.6 and newer patchelevels
will be my target for 1.8.x

The other time will be 1.9.x

Problem with 1.9 is that I cannot use the same recipes to build both,
there are several changes that need to be manually handled right now.