[Rubyinstaller-devel] musings

Luis Lavena luislavena at gmail.com
Wed Jan 21 18:22:12 EST 2009

On Wed, Jan 21, 2009 at 8:33 PM, Roger Pack <rogerpack2005 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all.
> A few musings:
> re: GPL versus MIT.  I suppose you could have the installer actually
> download mingw+msys at install time, and thus you wouldn't be
> distributing GPL code.  Either that or the gem way.  I'd be happy to
> help with the gem one.

the devkit gem will take the recipes from rubyinstaller and download
the gcc+msys, put the proper batch files into ruby bindir and it's
done ;-)

> re: rake-compiler
> Does this integrate with newgem at all?

newgem? DrNic package? is not using nothing like that, own baked recipes.

The idea of rake-compiler reduce the need for me to tackle projects
and provide Windows gems. I thought will be much better option and
more sustainable in the long run.

It also will play nice with some things I'm playing with, like
building One-Click Installer almost fully from Linux.

> Note:
> with rubyinstaller currently I get [when I run rake]
> mv zlib1.dll bin
> cd -
> cd sandbox/ruby_1_8
> patching file `dln.c'
> patching file `process.c'
> patching file `array.c'
> patching file `bignum.c'
> patching file `eval.c'
> patching file `intern.h'
> patching file `io.c'
> patching file `lib/webrick/httpservlet/filehandler.rb'
> Hunk #1 FAILED at 163.
> Hunk #2 succeeded at 232 with fuzz 2 (offset 33 lines).
> Hunk #3 FAILED at 306.
> Hunk #4 FAILED at 360.
> 3 out of 4 hunks FAILED -- saving rejects to
> lib/webrick/httpservlet/filehandler.rb.rej
> patching file `sprintf.c'
> patching file `string.c'
> rake aborted!
> is this expected?

maybe there is something during patch, which version is trying to
patch? p114? p287?

> Thanks.
> -=r

Thanks to you for the feedback