[Rubyinstaller-devel] [ANN] rake-compiler 0.3.1 Released
luislavena at gmail.com
Thu Jan 8 22:04:19 EST 2009
rake-compiler version 0.3.1 has been released!
rake-compiler aims to help Gem developers while dealing with Ruby C
extensions, simplifiying the code and reducing the duplication.
It follows *convention over configuration* and set an standarized
structure to build and package C extensions in your gems.
This is the result of expriences dealing with several Gems that required
native extensions across platforms and different user configurations
where details like portability and clarity of code were lacking.
== An Overview
Let's summarize what rake-compiler provides:
* No custom rake tasks required. Less code duplication and errors.
* Painlessly build extensions on different platforms (Linux, OSX and Windows).
* Allow multiple extensions be compiled inside the same gem.
* Mimics RubyGems installation process, so helps as test environment.
* Simplify cross platform compilation of extensions (target Windows from Linux).
=== 0.3.1 / 2009-01-09
* 2 Minor Enhancements:
* Download cross-ruby source code using HTTP instead of FTP.
* Disabled Tcl/Tk extension building on cross-ruby (helps with 1.9).
* 3 Bug fixes:
* Workaround bug introduced by lack of Gem::Specification cloning.
Fixes DM LH #757.
* Use proper binary extension on OSX (reported by Dirkjan Bussink).
* Ensure lib/binary task is defined prior clear of requisites.
Perfection in design is achieved not when there is nothing more to add,
but rather when there is nothing more to take away.
Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
More information about the Rubyinstaller-devel