[Rubyinstaller-devel] character encodings

Luis Lavena luislavena at gmail.com
Tue Feb 10 21:18:14 EST 2009

On Tue, Feb 10, 2009 at 10:30 PM, Roger Pack <rogerdpack at gmail.com> wrote:
> I get this:
> decompose.c: In function `_utf_normalize_wc':
> decompose.c:410: warning: visibility attribute not supported in this
> configuration; ignored
> googling for it reveals this:
> maintain an ugly hardcoded list of "default_excludes"
> in ld code.
> Which I think means "you have to do an intermediate step to be able to
> use .dll's in compiling using gcc, like
> gcc -o filename file1.o file2.o file3.o
> you have to export from the dll a .o for it--using dll_export or
> something like that.  Do you know if character encodings uses a dll?

I believe character encoding is trying to generate those object files
for bundling with the extension, but not in a good way.

Is tricky the way they decided to organize it, will have a better look
when time allows.

For the record, windows has a unicode support, but I believe they are
doing everything by hand. Let's see.

I wonder if with a few changes we can make this work with
rake-compiler and see cross-compilation of it.