[Rubyinstaller-devel] Building the Character-encodings gem on windows

Jon snoodger4eva at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 10 17:05:57 EST 2009

Hi all,

I'm using the ruby dev kit installer available on Akita's blog
(http://www.akitaonrails.com/2008/7/26/still-playing-with-ruby-on-windows).
After installing it, I updated the ruby gems to version 1.3.1 and installed
rails 2.2.2.

My goal was to have a build environment so that I could install the
character-encodings gem for windows xp. I need this gem to be able to use
rfeedparser. When I try to install character-encodings, it starts the build
and then chokes at the make part. I've also tried this in cygwin, with the
same error, and now I'm at my wit's end! :-)

Have any of you ever successfully installed the character-encodings gem on
windows using the environment created by the ruby installer, or do you know
anyone who has? I've googled extensively and found nothing helpful.

Thanks,

-Jon