[Rubyinstaller-devel] Ruby 1.9.1p0

Mike Hodgson mhodgson at gmail.com
Sun Feb 1 21:10:37 EST 2009

On Sun, Feb 1, 2009 at 6:54 PM, Luis Lavena <luislavena at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 1, 2009 at 9:44 PM, Mike Hodgson <mhodgson at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi Folks,
>>

> Hi Mike, long time no see!
>
>> I had nothing better to do today, so I played around with building
>> 1.9.1p0 on Windows. I was able to get the base system built with no
>> problem using Visual Studio 2008, and was also able to build the
>> OpenSSL and Iconv extensions with little trouble.
>>

> Awesome!!!
>
> It seems your visual studio force in you is strong. Did you needed
> some patches for OpenSSL or plain makefile?
>
> I'll love to see the patches you included to building that stuff.

No patches for anything aside from one line in x509.h for OpenSSL,
more on that here:
http://rt.openssl.org/Ticket/Display.html?id=1700&user=guest&pass=guest

I did need to install Activestate Perl and the latest Nasm.

>> I totally replaced the standard Zlib extension with Park Heesob's pure
>> Ruby version, and RubyGems seems to like it just fine.
>
> Awesome! Zlib can be a real pain get it build on Windows, at least
> with Visual Studio. MinGW on the other hand is really straight
> forward.

I actually got Zlib building from source, fairly easily, so I have
updated the ZIP file with that. I'd rather get the "vanilla" stuff
working to start.

>> The only items that are still causing a pain in my ass are readline
>> and curses. Perhaps those are the next extensions ripe for a bounty?
>> :)
>>

> Join the club. I have 150$ bucks for a bounty, we can pretty much
> steal the getchar stuff from Highline gem.
>
> I cannot comment on curses since I don't use it, pdcurses to the rescue?
>
> Let's do a bounty for readline, is really a gripe for MinGW too, since
> it eats the processor and is not easy to build it.

Curses might not be necessary, Readline is definitely a "must have". I
might look at it this week and see what's involved in re-writing it in
pure Ruby.

>> Here are the fruits of my labour so far, a patched working version of
>> Mongrel (built from source, not gem) is included as a bonus:
>>
>> http://www.mikehodgson.com/files/ruby-1.9.1p0-mswin32_90.zip
>>

> I'll check that later how fast it compares to the MinGW build of the
> same codebase.

Let me know how it looks! I am just running the Ruby Benchmark Suite:
http://github.com/acangiano/ruby-benchmark-suite/tree/master

> On the Mongrel stuff, please feel free to fork it on GitHub and patch it!:
>
> http://github.com/fauna/mongrel/tree/master

Good idea! I'll do this tomorrow.

Mike