[Rubyinstaller-devel] Ruby 1.9.1p0

Luis Lavena luislavena at gmail.com
Sun Feb 1 18:54:39 EST 2009

On Sun, Feb 1, 2009 at 9:44 PM, Mike Hodgson <mhodgson at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Folks,

Hi Mike, long time no see!

> I had nothing better to do today, so I played around with building
> 1.9.1p0 on Windows. I was able to get the base system built with no
> problem using Visual Studio 2008, and was also able to build the
> OpenSSL and Iconv extensions with little trouble.

Awesome!!!

It seems your visual studio force in you is strong. Did you needed
some patches for OpenSSL or plain makefile?

I'll love to see the patches you included to building that stuff.

> I totally replaced the standard Zlib extension with Park Heesob's pure
> Ruby version, and RubyGems seems to like it just fine.

Awesome! Zlib can be a real pain get it build on Windows, at least
with Visual Studio. MinGW on the other hand is really straight
forward.

> The only items that are still causing a pain in my ass are readline
> and curses. Perhaps those are the next extensions ripe for a bounty?
> :)

Join the club. I have 150$ bucks for a bounty, we can pretty much
steal the getchar stuff from Highline gem.

I cannot comment on curses since I don't use it, pdcurses to the rescue?

Let's do a bounty for readline, is really a gripe for MinGW too, since
it eats the processor and is not easy to build it.

> Here are the fruits of my labour so far, a patched working version of
> Mongrel (built from source, not gem) is included as a bonus:
>
> http://www.mikehodgson.com/files/ruby-1.9.1p0-mswin32_90.zip

I'll check that later how fast it compares to the MinGW build of the
same codebase.

On the Mongrel stuff, please feel free to fork it on GitHub and patch it!:

http://github.com/fauna/mongrel/tree/master

> If you want to try Rails on this, you will need to use the latest Edge
> version, 2.2.2 will whine about 'test/unit/error' being missing.

Great work man! Looks like we spent the weekend doing cool stuff! (me
working in the new rubyinstaller dsl).

> Regards,
> Mike

Cheers,