[Rubyinstaller-devel] scite

Luis Lavena luislavena at gmail.com
Sat Aug 29 11:32:51 EDT 2009

On Sat, Aug 29, 2009 at 4:13 PM, Roger Pack<rogerdpack at gmail.com> wrote:
>> When you say scite, do you mean the all-in-one Sc1 (sc201.exe currently
>> ~550K) executable?
>>
>> I can't remember whether the old 1.8.6p26 installer included it or not, but
>> do you remember any pros/cons people previously had with it if it was part
>> of the download?  I know folks get quite attached to their editor choices.
>
> It used to be included.  It was...reasonably useful since it
> associated .rb files with "an editor" which was nice.

File association requires write to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT, so that means it
requires administrative rights to do it:

http://www.jrsoftware.org/isfaq.php#ntsecur

While SciTE is "good" to getting started, lot of users will follow
tutorials about using things like NetBeans, RubyMine, Aptana, etc.

Personally I use Intype.

> Maybe we could just provide a link to something that does the same?

Definitely can be provided as resource in the documentation, but if we
bundle it, we need to realize that file association is not going to
work in corporate environments without the admin rights.