[Rubyinstaller-devel] OT: FYI - Will be partially away the next days

Luis Lavena luislavena at gmail.com
Fri Aug 21 12:13:07 EDT 2009

On Fri, Aug 21, 2009 at 1:01 PM, Alexey Borzenkov<snaury at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 21, 2009 at 7:36 PM, Luis Lavena<luislavena at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I would appreciate if anyone can take a look to snaury fork and see
>> how it works or if something breaks :-D
>> (guess is on master branch now?)
>
> No, it's still a separate proper-openssl-2 branch.

Cool.

> I don't quite like what I had to do in rake/extracttask.rb. While cp_r
> does the job, unlike mv it's pretty slow. I have this:
> http://git.kitsu.ru/mine/df-ruby.git?a=blob;f=lib/df/fileutils.rb;h=f81dcb36b5e546d99839238b75358cd1d03a4a93;hb=be039169bbf35145d87d55cdb58c8cf58d5711d5,
> but it patches FileUtils, which might be considered bad. :-/ Or maybe
> we could do a simpler version of that, which doesn't have to deal with
> lists of sources, etc.
>
> Or, maybe if we kept tags somewhere (like .mingw.extracted,
> .msys.extracted, etc.), build system wouldn't need to reextract
> everything every time... and the issue would be almost moot.

What needs to be done is complete the new DSL branch, but I has been
so busy that commit time to it would be impossible.

The new format for recipes uses checkpoint files for the tasks and
treat packages individually, so if a source /origin for a file
download changed: it will download the files and extract them, since
the previous checkpoint file got invalidated.

> Btw, using :force => true with FileUtils.mv is a really bad idea. All
> it does is ignores any errors, and most likely that's not what you
> want. I've been bitten many times by that, when it couldn't move
> something and just silently succeeded (e.g. immediately after ruby is
> unpacked Kaspersky goes inspecting it, and mv fails O.o which causes
> only much later in the build process, when directory ext or something
> else is missing).

I don't remember the reasoning behind it actually, was over the Bazaar
repo, and don't have it handy at work's computer.

But I agree, it is bad, but got the job done at that time.

I'm going to send my proposal for the recipe to the list next week,
and would love your input and others in the list.

Once we settle on the format, I'm going to put the initial specs and
focus in converting existing messy rake task to something cleaner in a
recipe way.

Me sitting at the airport, having a sprite with ice thanks you for
your continuos feedback :)

Cheers!