[Rubyinstaller-devel] rubyinstaller.org placeholder page needs feedback

Michal Suchanek hramrach at centrum.cz
Wed Aug 12 07:36:19 EDT 2009

2009/8/12 Luis Lavena <luislavena at gmail.com>:
> Hello Guys,
> Sorry for my late chime in on this conversation...
>>> Thanks for checking these!
>>> FYI, on my time-stealing list, my remaining TODO items are:
>>> * Clean up IE6 lower icon bar issue
>>> * Check XUbuntu/FF
>>> * Create an Add-on placeholder page
>>> * Tweak the existing Download placeholder page
>>> * Clean up front summary text
>> As far as I can tell there is no problem with the page in FF/Debian
>> and the links are now non-js so there should be no problem with them
>> either.
>> BTW noscript was at some point packaged for Ubuntu and recommended or
>> suggested by Firefox so there might be quite a few people with JS
>> turned off.
>> One minor nitpick is the colourful gem - I think the page looked
>> better with the red one at the top, it was somewhat consistent with
>> those gems in the box. But if the colourful one is going to be the
>> official logo I guess it should be there.
> Logo explained here, in case the link got lost:
> http://blog.mmediasys.com/2009/06/13/rubyinstaller-designs-and-deadline-details/
> As commented to Jon, I'm not fond with getting rid of it, as was
> designed, by free by Rodolfo Budeguer.

As mentioned in the blog post the diamond cut ruby is used mostly,
probably because it is easy to recognize and associate with the ruby

The problem I see with the colourful logo is that the colors do not
match the geometry (or something like that) which makes it somewhat
hard to make out the shape leaving the impression of several colourful
spots and polygons, not that of a compact recognizable shape.