[Rubyinstaller-devel] rubyinstaller.org placeholder page needs feedback

Luis Lavena luislavena at gmail.com
Tue Aug 11 16:56:21 EDT 2009

On Tue, Aug 11, 2009 at 5:12 PM, Charles
Roper<reachme at charlesroper.co.uk> wrote:
> On 12/08/2009 03:53, Jon wrote:
>> I've had similar thoughts and think your suggestion would be fine as long
>> as we use Windows(R) or Windows(TM) or something similar.  I'll check around
>> a bit, but do you know for sure what should be used?
> It's not necessary to put (R) and (TM) all over the place according to the
> official MS guidelines: http://bit.ly/1967yF
> The key parts are, I believe, these:
> ***
> Use Trademark Notices
> Include an attribution of Microsoft ownership of the Windows trademark in
> the credit notice section of your documentation or advertisement. Follow
> this format:
>    * Windows is a registered trademark of Microsoft Corporation in the
> United States and other countries.
> ***
> You may use the Windows trademark in a referential phrase such as "works
> with Windows XP," "runs on Windows 2000," "for use with Windows," "for
> Windows," or "compatible with Windows XP." (If your product works with only
> one version of a Windows product, refer to that version specifically.)
> Maintain a visual distinction between your company and product name and the
> Windows trademark. (Windows should be less prominent.)
> ***
> I think RubyInstaller with a smaller for Windows underneath it fits that
> second guideline quite nicely.

For the logo I can request the designer the original Adobe Illustrator
files or curves one for someone to hack it.

I'm cool with "for Windows". One-Click away was a legacy statement
instead of "One-Click Ruby Installer", which is also misleading.

> The buttons seem to be working fine in all of the browsers I mentioned
> before. If you really wanted to make the page validate (as an academic
> exercise perhaps ;) ) then I think all you'd need to do is change the <div>s
> that are inside the <a> tags to <span>s and declare display:block; on them
> in the CSS.

Yes, divs inside links are invalid.