[Rubyinstaller-devel] rubyinstaller.org placeholder page needs feedback

Charles Roper reachme at charlesroper.co.uk
Tue Aug 11 16:12:27 EDT 2009

On 12/08/2009 03:53, Jon wrote:
> I've had similar thoughts and think your suggestion would be fine as long as we use Windows(R) or Windows(TM) or something similar.  I'll check around a bit, but do you know for sure what should be used?

It's not necessary to put (R) and (TM) all over the place according to
the official MS guidelines: http://bit.ly/1967yF

The key parts are, I believe, these:

***

Use Trademark Notices
Include an attribution of Microsoft ownership of the Windows trademark
in the credit notice section of your documentation or advertisement.
Follow this format:
     * Windows is a registered trademark of Microsoft Corporation in the
United States and other countries.

***

You may use the Windows trademark in a referential phrase such as "works
with Windows XP," "runs on Windows 2000," "for use with Windows," "for
Windows," or "compatible with Windows XP." (If your product works with
only one version of a Windows product, refer to that version
specifically.) Maintain a visual distinction between your company and
product name and the Windows trademark. (Windows should be less prominent.)

***

I think RubyInstaller with a smaller for Windows underneath it fits that
second guideline quite nicely.

The buttons seem to be working fine in all of the browsers I mentioned
before. If you really wanted to make the page validate (as an academic
exercise perhaps ;) ) then I think all you'd need to do is change the
display:block; on them in the CSS.

Charles