[Rubyinstaller-devel] Making it Easy To Contribute

Michal Suchanek hramrach at centrum.cz
Tue Aug 11 14:52:44 EDT 2009

2009/8/11 Matt Hulse <matt.hulse at gmail.com>:
>> How exactly is a Goolgle Group an improvement over a Rubyforge mailing
>> list?
>> You still have to create an account to join, and I don't even see the
>> option to join with a non-Gmail address.
> You need a google account to sign-in but I'm pretty sure you don't have to
> use a google email to interact with the list.  If I remember correctly once
> you create a google account, you are then asked what email you would like to
> use for the google group.
> There are many projects (including ruby-talk, ruby-dev, and svn to name a
> few) using google groups and each of them allow access with the same google
> account in a convenient location.  Aside from one account for multiple
> lists, I really like the way the web interface organizes threads.  Then
> again, that's one of the reasons I prefer gmail so if you don't like gmail
> then you'll probably be better off interacting via your current email.  With
> the web interface you also get google search of the list instantly for free,
> (I'd imagine this gets the list indexed by google at large much sooner.)
> I'm actually a little surprised that you've never tried out gmail, google
> calendar, or google docs.  Your missing out IMHO.

I have tried gmail, and I am planning to move away from it again as I
am not particularly satisfied with the experience and alternatives are
available by now.

I cannot tell anything about google calendar but my colleague is using
google docs in a project and the results aren't very good either. It's
a nice cool toy but unfit for serious work.

As for google groups it's only one of many subscribe / archive web
applications available.

If it is so much preferable to what rubyforge has now then perhaps it
is time to file a request for a better mailing list manager.