[Rubyinstaller-devel] rubyinstaller.org placeholder page needs feedback

Charles Roper reachme at charlesroper.co.uk
Tue Aug 11 07:28:46 EDT 2009

Hey Jon,

On 08/08/2009 18:57, Jon wrote:
> Take a look at http://rubyinstaller.org/proto/ when you get a chance.

Great job!

Looking good in IE 7 & 8 on Vista. IE6 is almost there - I'm seeing the
same problem you have already identified. IE5... don't even go there. ;)

Also looking fine on Safari 4, Opera 9 & 10, Chrome and Firefox.

Something that immediately occurred to me: nowhere does it mention that
this is RubyInstaller *for Windows*. Although pretty obvious to those in
the community, for beginners - who are a large part of the audience - it
might not be so obvious.

Perhaps instead of "one-click away" (which I think is a bit inaccurate
and somewhat redundant these days) it should say "for Windows" instead.
And then in the intro text say, "This is a self-contained installer for
Windows that..."

Regarding the HTML, I agree with the points others have made: use of JS
for links is making my teeth itch. ;) The url attribute in the divs is
rather unorthadox (it doesn't exist in the XHTML spec). But I see from
another message that you're already committed changing that. The de
facto standard for marking-up a nav list is usually as an unordered
list, something like this:

<ul id="nav">

Wrapping that in a div and applying the id="nav" to the div instead of
the ul is also a common pattern. I would hazard a guess that Google
recognises this pattern and indexes accordingly. Not that I think it
matters right here and now as this page is only temporary, but for the
main site, we should be using best-practices.

The growing consensus in the web design community is that writing markup
with HTML 5 semantics in mind is a sensible idea. Think of it as
convention over configuration for HTML. Here are some articles explaining:

Preparing for HTML5 with Semantic Class Names:

More on developing naming conventions, Microformats and HTML5:

The Rise of HTML5:

Again, not that it matters a huge deal now, but I'd wager that
Google/Bing will be aware of these semantics and weight their indexes
accordingly in future, so this is definitely an issue for the main site.
I raise it here mainly for the record and as a recommendation for when
coding of the main site begins in earnest.

Radiant now uses HAML doesn't it? This should actually make it
super-easy to write and maintain the HTML.