[Rubyinstaller-devel] rubyinstaller.org placeholder page needs feedback

Jon jon.forums at gmail.com
Mon Aug 10 10:21:08 EDT 2009

> * The Icon, iso and logo are not correct.

I'll use the png you put on the rubyinstaller google group and make a quick mod to the logo as a prototype for Pavel to look at.  I'll also send Pavel an email and as him to update the graphics appropriately.

I'm not following you on the what's not correct with the Icon and iso.

> * The marketing text about "includes dozens of popular extensions" is
> no longer correct.

Agreed.

What about the .so's and .dll's you put in above and beyond what's in the mswin binary download from ruby-lang.org?  Do these count as "popular extensions" in your mind, or just basic requirements that need to be there in the first place?

> * Help should link to community page in the wiki. For the time being
> Help, mailing list and contribute should point to the same page.

OK

> * About is not linking anywhere.

Will be changed to link to the homepage of our GitHub wiki

> * It is missing the copyright about the design (Pavel Macek) and the
> conversion to HTML done by Jon.

Will put in a placeholder in the footer for review.

> > * I'm for getting rid of the current http://rubyinstaller.org/downloads/ page and simply redirecting to the appropriate RubyForge download page once the "Add-on" page is created and the previews files are available on RubyForge.  Is this a good idea?
>
> We had 5GB of traffic just for August, I'm getting worried that my
> current hosting provider call me to my cell phone.
>
> So the move to RubyForge will be with preview2.

I'll work on the links and/or an updated proto download page that links to RubyForge.

Two followup issues:

1) Do we need to touch base with the RubyForge folks on any potential bandwidth issues given the previous popularity of OCI and our expected installer size?

2) Where will we be hosting the 12MB+ DevKit?  Sourceforge?

Jon