[Rubyinstaller-devel] rubyinstaller.org placeholder page needs feedback

Luis Lavena luislavena at gmail.com
Sat Aug 8 20:29:06 EDT 2009

On Sat, Aug 8, 2009 at 2:57 PM, Jon<jon.forums at gmail.com> wrote:
> Take a look at http://rubyinstaller.org/proto/ when you get a chance.

Looks good, read below for my comments.

> If all looks stable, I'll finish reviewing with Pavel to ensure it's close enought to the real site.
>
> I'm currently of the mindset that it's good enough to replace our "Coming soon" placeholder once I shrink the whitespace between the top graphic band and the lower icon band.  I don't think we need to feel the need to add text before going live with this simple static page.
>
> Any additional text/graphics/etc you think we need?

* The Icon, iso and logo are not correct.

* The marketing text about "includes dozens of popular extensions" is
no longer correct.

* Help should link to community page in the wiki. For the time being
Help, mailing list and contribute should point to the same page.

* About is not linking anywhere.

* It is missing the copyright about the design (Pavel Macek) and the
conversion to HTML done by Jon.

> So far the only problem I've found is with IE6/Win2K in which the lower band of icons wraps.  I'll manually fix the CSS later like I did the top nav menu.  Ah...IE6...

Been tempted:
http://www.ie6nomore.com/

But no, not for now :-)

> Haven't checked on my Firefox/Xubuntu system and have no feedback from a Mac or other *nix browers.
 Graphics look great in elinks, though.

Looks good on Firefox and Chrome on Windows, and as a placeholder, is
much more than what we can ask.

Thank you Jon.

> [snip]

> * I'm for getting rid of the current http://rubyinstaller.org/downloads/ page and simply redirecting to the appropriate RubyForge download page once the "Add-on" page is created and the previews files are available on RubyForge.  Is this a good idea?

We had 5GB of traffic just for August, I'm getting worried that my
current hosting provider call me to my cell phone.

So the move to RubyForge will be with preview2.

> * a second set of eyes on the code is always helpful.  The key files are:

Can't comment too much on HTML and CSS, but will take a look.

Thank you again.