[Rubyinstaller-devel] rubyinstaller.org placeholder page needs feedback
jon.forums at gmail.com
Sat Aug 8 13:57:44 EDT 2009
Take a look at http://rubyinstaller.org/proto/ when you get a chance.
If all looks stable, I'll finish reviewing with Pavel to ensure it's close enought to the real site.
I'm currently of the mindset that it's good enough to replace our "Coming soon" placeholder once I shrink the whitespace between the top graphic band and the lower icon band. I don't think we need to feel the need to add text before going live with this simple static page.
Any additional text/graphics/etc you think we need?
So far the only problem I've found is with IE6/Win2K in which the lower band of icons wraps. I'll manually fix the CSS later like I did the top nav menu. Ah...IE6...
Haven't checked on my Firefox/Xubuntu system and have no feedback from a Mac or other *nix browers. Graphics look great in elinks, though.
Things To Consider
* uses xhtml 1.0 rather than html 4.01; works on IE6 so I don't expect this to be an issue
* not all linking behavior enabled: About in the top nav bar, the Mailing List icon, and the Add-on button are currently disabled.
* double-check whether the currently linking targets make sense
* added an "Ad-ons" button that will be linked to a page that will describe the optional, but very helpful, add-on tools. Currently I plan to document "rake-compiler" and the "DevKit". What else should be highlighted?
* I'm for getting rid of the current http://rubyinstaller.org/downloads/ page and simply redirecting to the appropriate RubyForge download page once the "Add-on" page is created and the previews files are available on RubyForge. Is this a good idea?
* a second set of eyes on the code is always helpful. The key files are:
More information about the Rubyinstaller-devel