[Rubyinstaller-devel] Making it Easy To Contribute

Gordon Thiesfeld gthiesfeld at gmail.com
Wed Aug 5 11:42:18 EDT 2009

On Wed, Aug 5, 2009 at 3:29 AM, Charles Roper<reachme at charlesroper.co.uk> wrote:
> On 04/08/2009 22:07, Jon wrote:
>> So what *specifically* do we need to do to make it easier to contribute
>> and provide feedback?  What are the easiest things we can start doing right
>> now with the folks we have?
> One thing that occurred to me is the lack of accessibility of this mailing
> list. It's where the beating heart of RubyInstaller lies, IMHO, but herein
> lies the problem: it's really quite hard to find.

I just added a "Community" page to the wiki that links to the
Rubyforge list page.  This can, of course, be updated to another list,
if need be.

> Plus there are three lists, which I think seems like overkill to me, judging
> by the amount of traffic on the other lists, and probably encourages the
> problem of "too many choices" (http://sivers.org/jam). I think one list
> might be a better way to go. You could provide a Feedburner email
> subscription to the site feed for those that only want announcements.

Agreed.  One list is all we need.

> I always cringe a little when I see a mailman list these days because it's
> yet another set of credentials I have to maintain. I would personally prefer
> to see a central list hosted on Google Groups for the sheer convenience of
> it. Or failing that, setup a mirror on Google Groups, or Nabble, or Ruby
> Forum? Nabble is nice because it gives you a forum-like front-end that can
> be embedded into the site.
> In other words, strip out unnecessary options, simplify, and make the
> discussion(s) more visible.

I'm for Google Groups, and would be happy to get the ball rolling
there.  It would definitely be more accessible to newcomers (easier to
find, sign up, and search).