[Rubyinstaller-devel] Making it Easy To Contribute

Charles Roper reachme at charlesroper.co.uk
Wed Aug 5 04:29:36 EDT 2009

On 04/08/2009 22:07, Jon wrote:
> So what *specifically* do we need to do to make it easier to contribute and provide feedback?  What are the easiest things we can start doing right now with the folks we have?

One thing that occurred to me is the lack of accessibility of this
mailing list. It's where the beating heart of RubyInstaller lies, IMHO,
but herein lies the problem: it's really quite hard to find.

Plus there are three lists, which I think seems like overkill to me,
judging by the amount of traffic on the other lists, and probably
encourages the problem of "too many choices" (http://sivers.org/jam). I
think one list might be a better way to go. You could provide a
Feedburner email subscription to the site feed for those that only want

I always cringe a little when I see a mailman list these days because
it's yet another set of credentials I have to maintain. I would
personally prefer to see a central list hosted on Google Groups for the
sheer convenience of it. Or failing that, setup a mirror on Google
Groups, or Nabble, or Ruby Forum? Nabble is nice because it gives you a
forum-like front-end that can be embedded into the site.

In other words, strip out unnecessary options, simplify, and make the
discussion(s) more visible.