[Rubyinstaller-devel] Is the work done here not being exposed properly?

Jon jon.forums at gmail.com
Tue Aug 4 16:31:58 EDT 2009

> Please, be open and sincere about it, I'm open to comments or suggestions to change what I'm doing wrong.

While I think some of Antonio's frustrations are valid, I also think we should take a step back before we run off and do things, and think a bit more about makes the most sense for us to do given our limited resources.

>From my perspective, one of the most important things to have in place before you start your PR, or Technical Marketing, or Evangelizing (or whatever you feel comfortable calling it) efforts is to really have nailed down a great "foundation" for your project.

This doesn't mean it has to be "perfect".  It simply means it has to be "great enough" and doable with our current resourcing.

Nothing ruins good opportunities quicker creating a ton of cool buzz and excitement for your project, and then completely underwhelming people when they check it out by not having your ducks in a row.

Quite frankly, we only have so many silver bullets to take advantage of the attention we drum up.

You never want to waste good buzz you've created on ruby-talk (and other places) by having people come to your project and go "WTF!?  This is lame. It's even close to being ready to look at.  I'm outa here"  We need to ensure the OCI project site leaves people with a "good enough" first impression that they don't run away in frustration.

And the great thing is that much of the current OCI work is great.  It's not lame at all.  Quite the opposite in fact.  We've got:

* Solid 1.8.6 and 1.9.1 MinGW-based preview builds
* A DevKit that easily enables folks to build native gems
* Nice core and standard lib documentation in the form of CHM's and Gordon spending a bunch of his valuable time to update and maintain these
* A cool rake-compiler tool to help with building native gems
* Interest from a web developer in helping to create a great new web site.
* The beginnings of a value-add developer focused site at GitHub.
* And, most importantly, some knowledgeable people who are passionate about getting a great Ruby experience on Windows.

While we've got all these great pieces, we've yet been able to combine them into a solid, coherent foundation upon which we can build.

It's this building of the foundation I'm advocating for as a next step.  And I don't think it needs to take forever if we can focus on pragmatism rather than perfectionism.

To quickly build this foundation, I strongly believe we need to focus on the following three themes:

1) Create a compelling project site (in phases and utilizing as much existing content).
2) Push out the next OCI by focusing and resourcing the key TODO's
3) Make it easy for people to contribute and provide feedback

Once we feel these three are solid, I think the fun begins and we can talk creative ways to drum up interest!

This email is already much longer than what I wanted.  However, if we think the "Three Themes" are on track, let's get 3 separate email chains going (one for each topic), hammer out the details, and get people signing up to do the specific tasks.

I'll start threads for (1) and (3) either later today or tomorrow.  Who's going to pick up #2?

Thoughts?  Any other key themes we need to address to nail down the foundation?

Jon