[Rubyinstaller-devel] SLJL

Luis Lavena luislavena at gmail.com
Sat Aug 1 23:02:22 EDT 2009

On Sat, Aug 1, 2009 at 8:15 AM, Roger Pack<rogerdpack at gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
>> AFAIK all the cross-compiling targets for GCC I saw are using default SLJL.
>> But that only is GCC 4, mingw32 packages and ports for many solutions,
>> including SUSE are using GCC 3.4.5
> which are forced to SJLJ is that right?

Yes. Default mode is sjlj.

>> Is my understanding that will only affect if exceptions are thrown
>> across shared library (dll) boundaries.
> Those are pretty rare aren't they?

Yes, but for example, Dwarf-2 cannot be used to catch callbacks from
Windows system libraries, which is going to be a real pain for tools
that interact with Win32API.

I believe more can be read here:

> So the question "if I build a version using mingw's recent 4.4.0
> release [dwarf-2]" will it work with cross-compiled binaries that gem
> developers provide, and I think the answer is yes, because we don't
> care all that much about exceptions crossing dll boundaries.  I guess?

In theory, but we already have a lot in relation to MSVCRT, VC8/9 and
things not working to throw in the mix now exception throwing (no pun

> Any thoughts on this one?

Call me oldie, but going to play safe and stick to SJLJ for a while.