[Rubyinstaller-devel] SLJL

Roger Pack rogerdpack at gmail.com
Sat Aug 1 07:15:50 EDT 2009

>> Question.
>> If a user cross compiles using GCC 4.x on linux, does their code
>> compile to windows code using SLJL or Dwarf-2 unwinding?  Does it
>> matter?
> The question is someone manage to cross-compile GCC 4.x to target
> mingw32, it will be SLJL or Dwarf-2, correct?

Yeah that's right.

> Well, the answer will be which parameters they use to cross compile it.

> AFAIK all the cross-compiling targets for GCC I saw are using default SLJL.
> But that only is GCC 4, mingw32 packages and ports for many solutions,
> including SUSE are using GCC 3.4.5

which are forced to SJLJ is that right?

> Is my understanding that will only affect if exceptions are thrown
> across shared library (dll) boundaries.

Those are pretty rare aren't they?

So the question "if I build a version using mingw's recent 4.4.0
release [dwarf-2]" will it work with cross-compiled binaries that gem
developers provide, and I think the answer is yes, because we don't
care all that much about exceptions crossing dll boundaries.  I guess?

Any thoughts on this one?