[Rubyinstaller-devel] [ANN] rake-compiler 0.4.1 Released
luislavena at gmail.com
Thu Apr 9 20:04:12 EDT 2009
rake-compiler version 0.4.1 has been released!
rake-compiler aims to help Gem developers while dealing with Ruby C
extensions, simplifying the code and reducing the duplication.
It follows *convention over configuration* and set an standarized
structure to build and package C extensions in your gems.
This is the result of expriences dealing with several Gems that required
native extensions across platforms and different user configurations
where details like portability and clarity of code were lacking.
== An Overview
Let's summarize what rake-compiler provides:
* No custom rake tasks required. Less code duplication and errors.
* Painlessly build extensions on different platforms (Linux, OSX and Windows).
* Allow multiple extensions be compiled inside the same gem.
* Mimics RubyGems installation process, so helps as test environment.
* Simplify cross platform compilation of extensions (target Windows from Linux).
=== 0.4.1 / 2009-04-09
* Target specific versions of Ruby when generating binaries.
This avoids installing a 1.8.x binary gem in 1.9.x and viceversa.
(Thanks to Aaron Patterson for the patches)
* No longer raises error if rake-compiler configuration is missing.
Not all users of a project would have it installed.
(Thanks to Aaron Patterson for the patch)
Perfection in design is achieved not when there is nothing more to add,
but rather when there is nothing more to take away.
Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
More information about the Rubyinstaller-devel