[Rubyinstaller-devel] Migrate to GCC as soon as possible?

Joao Pedrosa joaopedrosa at gmail.com
Wed Nov 26 16:03:54 EST 2008

> I'm also glad to hear that jruby is fast on windows--hardly anybody
> has probably even tested it out :)

I think many JRuby users tend to use Windows as well. It's like Java
in that regard, I would guess.

> Another interesting test would be 1.9 versus jruby on windows:
> It does build--at least it should :P [every so often the core guys
> commit something that causes a build problem--hopefully they're not
> there :P ]
> http://betterlogic.com/roger/?p=515

I just easily built it using VS2008 command line. Ruby 1.9 seems
promising and Ruby's best try to keeping things competitive.

> Note also that building it on mingw is easily 10x easier, using Luis'
> installer, than it used to be.  Trust me.  Just trust me.

It was relatively easy indeed. Although to me it works like a "blackbox"
right now given I hardly know the installer processes. :-)

> Note also that if you wanted a 'tidge' more performance, you could try
> to use GCC 4.2.x or what not [and enable the gentoo flags :) ].  The
> rubyinstaller doesn't use it because it's still kind of edgey, but
> apparently it is slightly faster.  So things will improve that way.

Yesterday I tried to download my own version of MinGW but it has
become a little more complicated since I last used it. I wanted to test
one of the latest versions of GCC for sure. :-)

> I'd be interested in running "benchmarks not from jruby" against them all, too.

Me too. Eventually will do.

> In general, though--I don't see it as a "competition" or "problem" to
> have ruby running with a backend vm on .net or java--the nicety of
> writing ruby is that [hopefully] you never have to touch code in the
> lower level, so...it should just work, so which ever is faster, it
> won't hurt you to use it.  Just my $0.02.

Yes. Ruby code is malleable enough to work on different interpreters with
relative little change. Albeit each interpreter has got to try to keep as much
compatibility as possible to make it more fun. :-)