[Rubyinstaller-devel] There is no go for Alternate Iconv

Luis Lavena luislavena at gmail.com
Mon May 26 13:38:04 EDT 2008

On Mon, May 26, 2008 at 9:58 AM, Roger Pack <rogerpack2005 at gmail.com> wrote:
> does the mingw port of iconv work?  I know it builds, don't know if it
> passes tests.

The thing with Iconv is that needs two steps to properly compile:

First you need gettext without Iconv to build Iconv to then build
gettext with Iconv (messy, don't you think?)

Anyway, will take a look, is not priority right now and I can use the
old Iconv binary package form the GNUwin32 guys in the mean time.

> My latest idea is that, like python, ruby should migrate to using  msvcrt9
> :)

Will be great if someone contribute a msbuild file that replaces the
makefiles, that will be awesome.

> Does anybody know if this is faster or not, than mingw?

Dunno if was ok, but I did a silly test a few months back when the
same thing was suggested:

Please consider that Python guys are using full Visual Studio to
generate the official distribution, since they are taking advantage of
PGO optimizations that are only available in the purchased licensed
and not in the Express packages.

Also, the python guys don't have the problem we have with the bundled
extensions like readline and such because that is not part of the
core/main package of the language, leaving the problem to those who
want/need these packages.

The OpenSSL stuff is fixed since they use Python prepare makefiles to
get them build properly, something we are using right now :-D