[Rubyinstaller-devel] [ANN] Bootstrapping Ruby with MinGW: selfhosted and test sandbox!

Luis Lavena luislavena at gmail.com
Mon Mar 24 23:32:58 EDT 2008

On Mon, Mar 24, 2008 at 11:59 PM, Joe Swatosh <joe.swatosh at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Luis!

Hey there Joe ;-)

>  On Sun, Mar 23, 2008 at 9:55 PM, Luis Lavena <luislavena at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Caveats:
>  >
>  > 1) Pre-built gems for i386-mswin32 are not compatible with this build
>  > of ruby. You'll require to download sources of your favorite gems.
>
>  Ouch.  I misunderstood that MinGW used the same run-time as vc6.

Both link to MSVCRT runtime DLL version, but the platforms signatures
(or the 'arch' used by ruby to identify them) differs. So i386-mswin32
gems will not be valid 'as gems' for i386-mingw32

Also, I found there are a few issues between the generated
msvcrt-ruby18.dll by MinGW and extensions compiled with VC6, even both
link to the same DLL and the same CRT, sometimes they crash. I can
point to issues under C and low level stuff down there that differ
between implementation.

In any case, I set as next step configure a CI for some of the OSS
project that will be "supported" by me, like Mongrel and others which
right now provide better support for Windows than others.

Ruby developers willing to bring Windows love to their projects are
welcome to mail me and request some slice into the CI system we (my
company) have.

>  I just want to add my "good job" here as someone who appreciates what
>  you're doing, but has been too quiet about it (and too busy to
>  contribute).

Thank you, I really appreciate the kind words and the encourage a few
users sent me directly :-)

It's been difficult times and the task is not easy, and still lot of
work need to be done, but I think we are in the right path.

Regards and have a nice week!
Multimedia systems