[Rubyinstaller-devel] Yet another Windows installer

Luis Lavena luislavena at gmail.com
Sat Mar 22 10:05:36 EDT 2008

On Sat, Mar 22, 2008 at 6:33 AM, Michal Suchanek <hramrach at centrum.cz> wrote:
> On 21/03/2008, Luis Lavena <luislavena at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
>  > That's part of the idea, but how you nuke installer3? just use rake
>  >  clean to erase the sandbox, don't stress the servers doing several
>  >  downloads (clean will not remove the downloads, clobber or a new
>  >  checkout will).
>  But how do you update the scripts then?

It is part of a bazaar [0] repository. (bzr) is a distributed revision
software similar to git or mercurial, but offer a more flexible
workflow than these two and also has Windows as supported platform :-)

If you don't have Python installed, you can grab bazaar standalone
setup [1] and add it to your PATH, bzr commands are quite similar to
those from subversion, but just to get you started:

0) bzr whoami "your name <your at mail.com>"

This is required to identify yourself on each commit :-D

1) bzr branch http://code.mmediasys.com/installer3/dev installer3.dev

Doing that you will grab a copy of the current repository (dev branch)
of installer3.

2) bzr update (inside installer3.dev) to get latest changes

3) (outside installer3.dev) bzr branch installer3.dev my-feature-or-fix-branch

This will create a new branch (locally) that will let you fix, enhance
and commit your enhancements without requiring write access to dev

4) when you have something to contribute back (until I set a better
repository) just generate a bundle patch with:

bzr send my-feature-or-fix-branch installer3.dev -o my-first-bundle.bundle

Then you attach it to your mail and send it to the list :-)

I'll reply your other comments right now :-)

Luis Lavena
Multimedia systems