[Rubyinstaller-devel] Yet another Windows installer

Michal Suchanek hramrach at centrum.cz
Fri Mar 21 14:49:00 EDT 2008

> On Mar 20, 5:52 pm, Michal Suchanek <hramr... at centrum.cz> wrote:
>  >
>  > Well, I consider myself sort of developer but I haven't used Rake so far.
>  >

> I'm just used to do every repetitive task with Rake and I think other
>  developers will agree.

There are also other alternatives like make, shell scripts, etc.

And it does not help with the repetitiveness of the download that much
as there are the timeouts. I do not quite understand how the stuff
fits together but I suspect these are somewhere in the rake itself so
perhaps rake needs a retry option for downloads.

>  Anyway, I don't feel very happy with the layout I got for this
>  project, since the separated task for every dependency are over-
>  engineered :-P
>

>  >
>  > That's why the script would be helpful ;-)
>  >

> Hmm, a script that just fire 'rake' don't sound too useful :-P

When that's the only thing needed there is no reason to write a script, yes ;-)

>  > I do not get a download timeout or it is quite well obfuscated at
>  > least. I get slow download of packages one after another and then I
>  > get something like:
>  >
>  > execution timed out
>  > rake aborted
>  >

> The error message you get can vary, that depends on the sourceforge
>  mirror you got. sorry about that.
>
>  The idea is that you don't need to download the sources package again
>  unless you 'clobber' or nuke your downloads directory (rake clean will
>  only clean the sandbox)

Good, but if you unpack a fresh copy of the installer the downloads
aren't there unless you save them and put them into the fresh copy
manually.

>  >
>  > I installed the OCI but did not do anything to put the ruby bin
>  > directory into my path, and the installer did not do it either. There
>  > must be a zlib1.dll somewhere in your system but there's none in mine.
>  > It is quite common so it might be installed by some other software.
>  >

> If the installer didn't add Ruby\bin into the PATH then you're running
>  without administrative privileges or something like that.
>
>  I just added a README.txt file that roughly indicates zlib1.dll as
>  requirement.

I still think it would be overall easier to just put a copy of
zlib1.dll into the extract_tools folder.

>  > Yes, I tried some tasks until I was sure there's nothing that does not
>  > produce any error but it might be that executing the tasks out of
>  > order leaves some fallout.
>  >

> To make you happy: the Rakefile now have a defaults (recipes/
>  defaults.rake) that:
>
>  download,
>  extract,
>  prepare,
>  configure,
>  compile and
>  install

Very nice, now running rake gives me a ruby build :-)

However, it would be nice if this copy also included rubygems and/or
rake so that rebuilding with this copy new was easier. To rebuild I
had to

- download rubygems
- run the extract process of the installer so that I got bsdtar
- extract rubygems
- in rubygems run setup.rb configure (this for some reason performed
the installation already)
- run gem install rake

After this I could nuke the install3 folder, extract a new one, and
build ruby with the newly installed ruby.

Thanks

Michal