[Rubyinstaller-devel] Ruby 1.86. p230 and RubyGems 1.2.0

Luis Lavena luislavena at gmail.com
Fri Jun 20 17:32:10 EDT 2008

On Fri, Jun 20, 2008 at 10:23 PM, Roger Pack
<roger.pack at leadmediapartners.com> wrote:
> Yeah I left it messy since installer3 came out so nobody needed it anymore :D
>>> Are you planning on releasing mingw or win32?
>> Dunno what you mean... releasing what?
> My question is if this plans to be an "official" mingw release.  I
> guess now is as good a time as any.  Maybe warn people that it may not
> be compatible with precompiled existing win32 gems [like if they run
> gem install rmagick]?

Dunno if is the "official mingw" release. but it will be the One-Click
Installer for Windows "official" version, at least supported by me :-P

There is a clear difference between MinGW and VC6 builds, and I
contribute to make it more clear in latest RubyGems.

So if a binary for RMagick is build with VC6 (mswin32 as platform)
will not be automatically installed by RubyGems, you will require
manual install.

For those users that manually try it, we can't do anything more than
say "that wouldn't work".

>>With the recent announcement of Ruby 1.8.6 patchlevel 230[1] and the
>>upcoming RubyGems 1.2.0[2] release, I've worked some on updating
>>installer3.  The changes are in my github repo[3]
> Or whether Gordon was referring to releasing an updated OCI VC6
> distro.  Now that I look at it, since he mentioned updating
> installer3, I assume it's for mingw only?

installer2 is what is now OCI, the latest release is 186-26 which is 1.8.6-p114

Even Ruby-core released p230 I'll not update installer2 since there is
no testing in place and all the extension and gems bundled must be
verified for compatibility.

installer3 is the sandbox for development and creation of the new
One-Click Installer (I should put this on my signature).

So most of the work is right now on installer3 (named rubyinstaller on
github, like the project on rubyforge).

Right now we need to get a UI for the installer, to offer the less
options possible to install the Runtime (Ruby+RubyGems) packages.

If you have some free time, feel free to fork the rubyinstaller
repository at github (like gordon did) and when you're done with your
fixes, improvements or ideas, just send me a pull request! :-)

> Thanks!

Thanks to you, have a nice weekend!