[Rubyinstaller-devel] Ruby 1.86. p230 and RubyGems 1.2.0

Gordon Thiesfeld gthiesfeld at gmail.com
Fri Jun 20 15:48:29 EDT 2008

On Fri, Jun 20, 2008 at 2:18 PM, Luis Lavena <luislavena at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 20, 2008 at 8:35 PM, Gordon Thiesfeld <gthiesfeld at gmail.com> wrote:
>> With the recent announcement of Ruby 1.8.6 patchlevel 230[1] and the
>> upcoming RubyGems 1.2.0[2] release, I've worked some on updating
>> installer3.  The changes are in my github repo[3]
>>
>> Below are a list of issues that I have.  I'd like some feedback from
>> anyone out there that's paying attention ;-D  Any ways to improve what
>> I'm doing?  Anything I'm missing?
>>
>> Iconv issue
>>
>>        Which package do we need to switch to?
>>

> We should revert from win-iconv to gnuwin32 iconv version:
>
> http://gnuwin32.sourceforge.net/packages/libiconv.htm
>
> We need binaries and dependencies.

I'm updating this now.

>> Wix issues
>>
>>        Need to write paraffin tasks
>>
>>                The steps Luis used to generate the wxs frgaments are documented in
>> the comments of wix.rake.  I just haven't gotten around to it yet.
>>
>>        Paraffin updates, but `rake package` fails
>>
>>                I can update the .wxs files using the steps Luis laid out, but wix
>> errors out when it's run.  Not sure what's going on here. light.exe is
>> throwing some odd errors [4].
>>

> I'll verify it but there is no need to copy the wxs fragments into
> sandbox to work. I used the relative references as workaround.

I did this so that people could hack on the wxs file and still have
the original, but there are two problems with this. First, that's what
a VCS is for, and second, the rake package task overwrites them with
the original everytime anyway.  I will fix.

>>        Need a gui
>>
>>                Once wxs fragments issue gets straightened out, we still need to
>> build a gui for the installer
>>

> Yeah, didn't had time to work on that yet.

Yeah, neither did I ;-)  Just trying to keep track of what's left to do.

>> Mingw, Msys issues
>>
>>        Needs wxs files generated
>>

> Yes, each one for each gcc package, maybe we would handle those
> manually based on the version, but will not be part of the automated
> process (dunno yet, we need to talk a bit about it).
>
>>        Need a task to add batch files to %rubypath%\bin
>>
>>                make.bat, gcc.bat, sh.bat
>>

> These files should be fit better into "resources", I'll work on that
> after the MinGW stuff.

I'm just trying to think through the process of how these scripts
would get packaged.  I'm thinking something similar to the way you
have rubygems set up as fragment (is that the correct term?).