[Rubyinstaller-devel] Ruby 1.86. p230 and RubyGems 1.2.0

Luis Lavena luislavena at gmail.com
Fri Jun 20 15:18:18 EDT 2008

On Fri, Jun 20, 2008 at 8:35 PM, Gordon Thiesfeld <gthiesfeld at gmail.com> wrote:
> With the recent announcement of Ruby 1.8.6 patchlevel 230[1] and the
> upcoming RubyGems 1.2.0[2] release, I've worked some on updating
> installer3.  The changes are in my github repo[3]
> Below are a list of issues that I have.  I'd like some feedback from
> anyone out there that's paying attention ;-D  Any ways to improve what
> I'm doing?  Anything I'm missing?
> Iconv issue
>        Which package do we need to switch to?

We should revert from win-iconv to gnuwin32 iconv version:

We need binaries and dependencies.

> Wix issues
>        Need to write paraffin tasks
>                The steps Luis used to generate the wxs frgaments are documented in
> the comments of wix.rake.  I just haven't gotten around to it yet.
>        Paraffin updates, but `rake package` fails
>                I can update the .wxs files using the steps Luis laid out, but wix
> errors out when it's run.  Not sure what's going on here. light.exe is
> throwing some odd errors [4].

I'll verify it but there is no need to copy the wxs fragments into
sandbox to work. I used the relative references as workaround.

>        Need a gui
>                Once wxs fragments issue gets straightened out, we still need to
> build a gui for the installer

Yeah, didn't had time to work on that yet.

> Mingw, Msys issues
>        Needs wxs files generated

Yes, each one for each gcc package, maybe we would handle those
manually based on the version, but will not be part of the automated
process (dunno yet, we need to talk a bit about it).

>        Need a task to add batch files to %rubypath%\bin
>                make.bat, gcc.bat, sh.bat

These files should be fit better into "resources", I'll work on that
after the MinGW stuff.

> [1]  http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.ruby/browse_thread/thread/eaa4ab03127fd4b9#
> [2]  http://rubyforge.org/pipermail/rubygems-developers/2008-June/003892.html
> [3]  http://github.com/vertiginous/rubyinstaller
> [4] http://pastie.org/219031
> Thanks,

Thanks to you Gordon, I'll check all that today!
(still owe you a ruby bugfix). ;-)