[Rubyinstaller-devel] mingw openssl test failure

Luis Lavena luislavena at gmail.com
Thu Jun 5 18:57:43 EDT 2008

On Fri, Jun 6, 2008 at 12:41 AM, Roger Pack <rogerpack2005 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Probably could use a 'readme' in there on how to set it up :) [like you need
> to add it to the path, then run the tests, and you need to merge the
> rubygems directory into the main to use gems].

There is a readme, there was a lot of discussion here and over
ruby-talk about how to use it.

To run the test it automatically add the sandboxed ruby in the path,
you don't need to do it manually. Also to run the tests there is no
need to have rubygems into the sandboxed ruby.

> I think what would be nice would be to have a package that includes the
> devkit.

There is, like I posted in my blog and several times over the mailing
list, it's available in the dump url:

http://dump.mmediasys.com/installer3/

look for the sandbox-mingw-msys 7z package, is the latest version used
to build that version of ruby.

> Maybe call it win32 power bundle or something, so that people can build
> things like mongrel, on the fly, if they want to.  Then it could include
> those nice .cmd's for gcc and make or what not.  You might have to warn
> people that it will be using those instead of their cygwin versions, but
> power users won't mind that.  Ideally, you'd want it to be able to use the
> mingw versions whenever you are running a gem command, hence my suggesting
> that you bundle gems with gem_with_mingw_path.cmd # sets up the paths right
> for compilation

Don't take this harsh but stop putting name to stuff and use it or
create something.

Again on the "gem_with_mingw" feel free to create whatever works for
you, share with the community and get feedback, that's the only way a
theory can prove to be useful or totally useless.

For me, the gcc, make and sh bat files make rubygems tests pass, also
make mongrel and other gems painless to build without tweaking the
path.

You should keep in mind this is not a package for average joe ruby,
this is a package for ruby developers/hackers and gem creators to
provide feedback about MinGW compatibility. There are a lot of task
that must be done before it can be massively used.

Gordon generously took the time to collect and update the wiki with the Roadmap:

http://rubyinstaller.rubyforge.org/wiki/wiki.pl?Roadmap

Feel free to contribute on some of these task since most of them are priority.

> Could also offer the 'normal' OCI for mingw, too.

By normal you mean what?

With this version of One-Click we are trying to avoid the mistakes did
on the first place. I wouldn't not invest time on something that in
the long run will be dropped (like a NSIS or InnoSetup script) or
cannot be easily manageable.

Also the approach to bundle everything is not part of our goal right
now. In any case only gems and extensions bundled in gems will be the
only components that will be part of this, mainly because they have a
mechanism to manage them, on the contrary of normal "setup.rb"
extensions.

There is a lot of discussion about RUBY_PLATFORM, changes between
implementations and fixes for the underlying Ruby code to reduce the
incompatibilities between platforms, so we have our hands busy right
now, feel free to fork and contribute with your ideas and experiments,
I'm eager to see what cool ideas can you bring to this project.

Regards,