[Rubyinstaller-devel] my old gripe :)

Gordon Thiesfeld gthiesfeld at gmail.com
Wed Jun 4 00:47:10 EDT 2008

On Tue, Jun 3, 2008 at 7:11 PM, Roger Pack
<roger.pack at leadmediapartners.com> wrote:
> I'm slightly confused as to how to use gems with the latest git mingw installer.
>
> I'd think that I should be able to run
>
> c:\dev\latest\rubyinstaller\sandbox>  rubygems_mingw\bin\gem.bat list
>
> and it would show 'no gems listed'
> It defaults instead to using the installed msvc ruby.exe
> Glancing at it I assume we have to install to c:\Ruby now?
>
> Here's my attempt to run it with the right ruby.exe
>
> c:\dev\latest\rubyinstaller\sandbox>ruby_mingw\bin\ruby.exe
> rubygems_mingw\bin\gem
> rubygems_mingw/bin/gem:8:in `require': no such file to load --
> rubygems (LoadError)
>        from rubygems_mingw/bin/gem:8
>

>From what I understand, the rubygems install was moved out of the ruby
install to facilitate the MSI creation, as ruby and rubygems will be
listed as seperate features in the installer (or at least the Wix
files refer to them as features).  During the MSI installation
process, they would both be installed to the same location.  To run
it, you could copy the contents of rubygems_mingw into ruby_mingw.  Of
course, that's kind of hacky.  Another option would be to flesh out
the Wix automation, so that you can build the MSI package and install
it via Rake ;-)

> As a side note, you may also you may want to consider a few more
> explicit directory names, since they were somewhat confusing to me
> this [and every] time.
> ruby_1_8 -> ruby_1_8_src
> rubygems -> rubygems_src
>
> To avoid confusion.
> I could do it if you want.

This was confusing to me too at first, but I've just been staring at
it a lot and the confusion went away ;-).  I certainly wouldn't be
opposed to a change.

> Thanks!
> -R

Hope that helps,