[Rubyinstaller-devel] Problem with Mongrel

Luis Lavena luislavena at gmail.com
Mon Jul 28 17:48:42 EDT 2008

On Mon, Jul 28, 2008 at 11:34 PM, Fabio Akita <fabioakita at gmail.com> wrote:
> I am running the new ruby installer and I installed  the several
> win32utils after mongrel complained about win32-service. But even
> after that I am unable to start  mongrel. That's the error:

The problem is that you forced the installation of mongrel with
platform mswin32 and at that time 1.1 was full of problems related to
MinGW.

I backported the fixes from 1.2 branch into 1.1 and released a binary
1.1.5 mingw32 version of the gem.

You can now safely remove that gem and install mongrel with "gem
install mongrel" and will install the mingw build instead.

> c:/ruby18/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/mongrel-1.1.5-x86-mswin32-60/lib/mongrel/configurator.rb:
> 372:in `trap': unsupported signal SIGUSR1 (ArgumentError)

Moreover, you must be careful about forcing the installation of gems
not built for the specific platform. Even mswin32 states is 100%
compatible with mingw32, they sometimes segfaults.

win32-service is mongrel_service depedency and not mongrel itself, you
can force mongrel_service to install without issues since it doesn't
contain any regexp related to RUBY_PLATFORM (which was the problem
you're getting before).

HTH,