[Rubyinstaller-devel] News for OpenSSL build

Luis Lavena luislavena at gmail.com
Fri Jul 25 21:33:12 EDT 2008

Hello Guys,

Following the inspiration and the push Lars provided for building
OpenSSL. I must congratulate him for the perceverance on getting it
working, but I disagree on the external dependency to ActiveState Perl
or the huge Strawberry Perl (35MB).

I first thought the OpenSSL were crazy using perl scripts instead of
autoconf / automake scripts, and they have proven that they are :-D

After circumvent the issues with symlinks in the packages and find the
proper steps to build it, I managed to create a new recipe for it.

Also, it is now a good series of rake tasks that avoid rebuilding or
extraction if there are no change to the files or source package.

This is part of the 'proper-openssl' branch in GitHub.

The main reason I didn't merge it yet with master is that the
generated library is a static one, and that adds 1MB more of memory
usage just by require 'openssl' Ruby C Extension.

The dll commands are failing:

 dllwrap --dllname libeay32.dll --output-lib out/libeay32.a --def
ms/libeay32.def out/libcrypto.a -lwsock32 -lgdi32 -lmsvcrt
libeay32.exp:fake:(.edata+0x35c4): undefined reference to `pqueue_print'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

Any suggestions are real welcome.

Good night everybody.