[Rubyinstaller-devel] Succeed building OpenSSL (kind of)

Luis Lavena luislavena at gmail.com
Tue Jul 15 09:59:44 EDT 2008

On Tue, Jul 15, 2008 at 3:49 PM, Michal Suchanek <hramrach at centrum.cz> wrote:
> On 14/07/2008, Luis Lavena <luislavena at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hello Guys,
>>  I the issue with OpenSSL (the lack of updated version) is very annoying.
>>  One path to solve that is what Lars implemented in his fork, which
>>  rely on strawberry Perl and looks it works. The down side: 30MB of
>>  perl download since strawberry "flavor" bundles it's own MinGW
>>  environment.
>>  Other alternative was using ActivePerl, which require manual
>>  installation, and thus, cannot be automated.
>>  There are several downsides with OpenSSL: the lack of configure / make
>>  / make install familiar with *nix packages that usually works with
>>  MinGW+MSYS and the forced usage of perl to build OpenSSL :-P
>>  I've been exploring the Thor recipes for building OpenSSL:
>>  https://svn.torproject.org/svn/torbrowser/trunk/build-scripts/INSTALL
>>  Which, so far, produced good results, excep for being static linked
>>  libraries instead of shared ones.
>>  When I turn on the shared ones, it fails (need to review what is wrong).
> I think there is no problem with static libraries (as long as they can
> be used to build the extension). The library is going to be used only
> for a single extension so there is no sharing anyway. Actually you
> might save some space by linking statically.

Thank you for your input Michal.

Yeah, I've seen no problem with the static builds, but I'm worried
about the interface between Ruby and Postgres, which bundles as shared
library latest OpenSSL.

Dunno if sometimes there will be some conflict at execution time that
can be bad in the long run.

Also, if developers require to build other Ruby C extensions that
depends on OpenSSL (dunno which one yet, but just in case), we will
require to have a bundle of those modifications as a downloadable zip

But please, people, drop me the negatives comments so that forces me
to work on better alternatives ;-)

> Thanks

Thanks to you for your comments and following the list!