[Rubyinstaller-devel] Succeed building OpenSSL (kind of)

Luis Lavena luislavena at gmail.com
Mon Jul 14 19:11:19 EDT 2008

On Tue, Jul 15, 2008 at 12:08 AM, Lars Christensen <larsch at belunktum.dk> wrote:

> On Mon, 14 Jul 2008, Luis Lavena wrote:
>
>> Other alternative was using ActivePerl, which require manual installation,
>> and thus, cannot be automated.
>
> It seems to be possible to automate ActivateState extraction using a
> so-called "administrative install". Check it out at
>
> http://github.com/larsch/rubyinstaller/commits/openssl-activestate
>
> It not a whole lot better than Strawperry perl; the AS Perl distribution is
> still 17MB, and extracting using msiexec takes quite a while. It could be
> made optional however, if an installation is detected on the build host.

Yeah, and a administrative install still pollutes the Windows
Installer information database (ala: it keep track of your
administrative install). Couldn't confirm with proper examples but
found issues in the past doing the same with other tools

>> Why? is not the succeed, but sounds stupid from the OpenSSL developers
>> they: 1) ship with symlinks and 2) do not provide a *nix like building
>> solution for Windows (configure / make / make install).
>
> Particularly ironic is this sarcastic statement from their FAQ: "autoconf
> will probably be used in future OpenSSL versions. If it was less
> Unix-centric, it might have been used much earlier.".

Yeah, plain and simple irony... :-P

>> In any case, Is just my opinion, but I'll love heard other thoughts about
>> it.
>
> Using an unofficial (or hacked) build procedure for OpenSSL does not appear
> as an ideal solution to me either,
> (http://metasploit.com/users/hdm/tools/debian-openssl/ comes to mind).
>
> An alternative is to hack their Makefile-generator script to work around the
> issues with msys-perl? It seemed to be a path issue when I tried. Perl is
> not fresh in my memory however.

What I did and succeed:

Replace the files that reported with symlink extraction issues with
the proper files.
(most header files and some c ones)

Removed the test folder and after executed config script, modified the
generated makefile to remove the test.

In any case, I took a look at the makefiles from GNUwin32 and they are
quite interesting (Makefile.mingw and Makefile.ssl), maybe we can base
on that for our parameters?