[Rubyinstaller-devel] Succeed building OpenSSL (kind of)

Lars Christensen larsch at belunktum.dk
Mon Jul 14 18:08:57 EDT 2008

On Mon, 14 Jul 2008, Luis Lavena wrote:

> Other alternative was using ActivePerl, which require manual
> installation, and thus, cannot be automated.

It seems to be possible to automate ActivateState extraction using a
so-called "administrative install". Check it out at

It not a whole lot better than Strawperry perl; the AS Perl distribution
is still 17MB, and extracting using msiexec takes quite a while. It could
be made optional however, if an installation is detected on the build

> Why? is not the succeed, but sounds stupid from the OpenSSL developers
> they: 1) ship with symlinks and 2) do not provide a *nix like building
> solution for Windows (configure / make / make install).

Particularly ironic is this sarcastic statement from their FAQ: "autoconf
will probably be used in future OpenSSL versions. If it was less
Unix-centric, it might have been used much earlier.".

> In any case, Is just my opinion, but I'll love heard other thoughts about it.

Using an unofficial (or hacked) build procedure for OpenSSL does not
appear as an ideal solution to me either,
(http://metasploit.com/users/hdm/tools/debian-openssl/ comes to mind).

An alternative is to hack their Makefile-generator script to work around
the issues with msys-perl? It seemed to be a path issue when I tried. Perl
is not fresh in my memory however.