[Rubyinstaller-devel] Succeed building OpenSSL (kind of)

Luis Lavena luislavena at gmail.com
Mon Jul 14 16:42:20 EDT 2008

Hello Guys,

I the issue with OpenSSL (the lack of updated version) is very annoying.

One path to solve that is what Lars implemented in his fork, which
rely on strawberry Perl and looks it works. The down side: 30MB of
perl download since strawberry "flavor" bundles it's own MinGW
environment.

Other alternative was using ActivePerl, which require manual
installation, and thus, cannot be automated.

There are several downsides with OpenSSL: the lack of configure / make
/ make install familiar with *nix packages that usually works with
MinGW+MSYS and the forced usage of perl to build OpenSSL :-P

I've been exploring the Thor recipes for building OpenSSL:

https://svn.torproject.org/svn/torbrowser/trunk/build-scripts/INSTALL

Which, so far, produced good results, excep for being static linked
libraries instead of shared ones.

When I turn on the shared ones, it fails (need to review what is wrong).

I'll invest my time getting this working instead of depending on
another huge package like strawberry or activestate perl.

Why? is not the succeed, but sounds stupid from the OpenSSL developers
they: 1) ship with symlinks and 2) do not provide a *nix like building
solution for Windows (configure / make / make install).

In any case, Is just my opinion, but I'll love heard other thoughts about it.