[Rubyinstaller-devel] rubygems & --destdir

Luis Lavena luislavena at gmail.com
Sat Jul 12 14:47:51 EDT 2008

On Sat, Jul 12, 2008 at 7:54 PM, Lars Christensen <larsch at belunktum.dk> wrote:

> On Sat, 12 Jul 2008, Luis Lavena wrote:
>
>> On Sat, Jul 12, 2008 at 2:45 PM, Lars Christensen <larsch at belunktum.dk>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> The change to installing rubygems --destdir doesn't work for me. Am I
>>> missing something?
>>
>> --destdir is supposed to allow packagers (in Linux) to replicate the
>> folder structure outside the installation directory, something we have
>> been doing manually.
>
> Ruby's configure is called with --prefix. Could change be changed to
> --destdir?

There is no --destdir for Ruby, only for RubyGems.

>> The problem is yet there is no official release for 1.2.1, so I've been
>> using rake CHECKOUT=1 to build from svn these components.
>
> Thanks, I'll use that until rubygems gets released.

Keep in mind that you will require to remove the folders from
ruby_mingw (lib/ruby/1.8/gems/*) since they belong to rubygems_mingw
instead

>> BTW, I took a look at your fork, looks good. The only downside is the
>> strawberry perl is huge :-P
>
> Yes, its far from optimal. Suggestions welcome :)

I think I found a workaround using msys-perl and some tweaks to
openssl generated makefile. Will test it a bit more and share that
with you.

>> I've been thinking in peek the GNUwin32 guys to update their packages,
>> but that will be silly (and will not get good reactions).
>>
>> The other workaround is remove the dependencies build nightware from
>> rubyinstaller and provide (to us) pre-packaged binary versions of
>> OpenSSL, Readline, Iconv, Gettext, etc.
>>
>> Anyway, open to suggestions.
>
> I personal prefer to keep the option to build everything from sources &
> official binaries (gnuwin32 permitted). This way, if someone wants to
> fix/modify/upgrade a dependency, its completely transparent how
> rubyinstaller generates it from its official source.
>
> It would be possible to give the user an option of using prebuilt packages,
> for example by specifying "rake USEPREBUILT=1".

In any case, the rubyinstaller is ideally target to One-Click
Installer developers and not end users, so the usage of pre-build vs.
source is non-critical.