[Rubyinstaller-devel] rubygems & --destdir

Lars Christensen larsch at belunktum.dk
Sat Jul 12 13:54:18 EDT 2008

On Sat, 12 Jul 2008, Luis Lavena wrote:

> On Sat, Jul 12, 2008 at 2:45 PM, Lars Christensen <larsch at belunktum.dk> wrote:
>> The change to installing rubygems --destdir doesn't work for me. Am I
>> missing something?
>
> --destdir is supposed to allow packagers (in Linux) to replicate the
> folder structure outside the installation directory, something we have
> been doing manually.

Ruby's configure is called with --prefix. Could change be changed to
--destdir?

> The problem is yet there is no official release for 1.2.1, so I've been
> using rake CHECKOUT=1 to build from svn these components.

Thanks, I'll use that until rubygems gets released.

> BTW, I took a look at your fork, looks good. The only downside is the
> strawberry perl is huge :-P

Yes, its far from optimal. Suggestions welcome :)

> I've been thinking in peek the GNUwin32 guys to update their packages,
> but that will be silly (and will not get good reactions).
>
> The other workaround is remove the dependencies build nightware from
> rubyinstaller and provide (to us) pre-packaged binary versions of
> OpenSSL, Readline, Iconv, Gettext, etc.
>
> Anyway, open to suggestions.

I personal prefer to keep the option to build everything from sources &
official binaries (gnuwin32 permitted). This way, if someone wants to
fix/modify/upgrade a dependency, its completely transparent how
rubyinstaller generates it from its official source.

It would be possible to give the user an option of using prebuilt
packages, for example by specifying "rake USEPREBUILT=1".

Lars