[Rubyinstaller-devel] rubygems & --destdir

Luis Lavena luislavena at gmail.com
Sat Jul 12 10:14:51 EDT 2008

On Sat, Jul 12, 2008 at 2:45 PM, Lars Christensen <larsch at belunktum.dk> wrote:
> Hi,
> The change to installing rubygems --destdir doesn't work for me. Am I
> missing something? I get this:
> fileutils.rb:243:in `mkdir': Invalid argument -
> D:/src/rubyinstaller/sandbox/rubygems_mingw/D:

Hello Lars,

We found that using --prefix only copied the binaries and the
libraries of ruby outside sandbox/ruby_mingw, but the folder structure
where the gems will be stored still remains inside of it.

--destdir is supposed to allow packagers (in Linux) to replicate the
folder structure outside the installation directory, something we have
been doing manually.

The thing is that parameter is broken in 1.2 and I committed a fix for
it, as you can see in the changelog:

Also this is the mailing list post that describe the situation:

I got approval from Eric Hodel to commit the fix.

The problem is yet there is no official release for 1.2.1, so I've
been using rake CHECKOUT=1 to build from svn these components.

Thankfully Ruby SVN now works, but I'll keep my fingers crossed just in case ;-)

BTW, I took a look at your fork, looks good. The only downside is the
strawberry perl is huge :-P

I've been thinking in peek the GNUwin32 guys to update their packages,
but that will be silly (and will not get good reactions).

The other workaround is remove the dependencies build nightware from
rubyinstaller and provide (to us) pre-packaged binary versions of
OpenSSL, Readline, Iconv, Gettext, etc.

Anyway, open to suggestions.

> Lars

Thank you Lars for pointing this down.