[Rubyinstaller-devel] OpenSSL update & curses support

Lars Christensen larsch at belunktum.dk
Mon Jul 7 11:00:05 EDT 2008

Luis Lavena wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 6, 2008 at 4:20 PM, Lars Christensen <larsch at belunktum.dk> wrote:
> I checked you commit and saw you included mingw-make, is that just for
> OpenSSL? We had several issues getting it working to build ruby
> itself, so we reverted to msys-make instead.
Yes, the OpenSSL build scripts call mingw32-make directly. Their
makefile generator assume that everything is plain old DOS commands
using mingw32-make (e.g. "copy" rather than "cp"). Tuning the SHELL
might help, but since they assume DOS conventions for everything, it may
not be compatible with msys-make.

> An alternative, instead of following the batch file as suggested in
> OpenSSL site is follow the configure, make and make install process.
> Did you explored that way?
I tried that, but their scripts/Makefile refuse to work that way and ask
you to use "ms\mingw32.bat" instead. They don't use autoconf, so
portability is something they handle manually.
> Yeah, two things I suggest: do not use git configure core.autocrlf
> false directly, please alter the etc/gitconfig file instead, since I
> have seen, even with --global being used, the change do not affect the
> clones or the commits.
Setting it to false did help, I think. Not sure why I had the problem
with edited files and "git diff"; I doesn't happen anymore.
> Also change your editor to Unix (LF) instead of Windows (LF+CR).
No problem, I'm on Emacs.