[Rubyinstaller-devel] OpenSSL update & curses support

Luis Lavena luislavena at gmail.com
Sun Jul 6 18:25:03 EDT 2008

On Sun, Jul 6, 2008 at 4:20 PM, Lars Christensen <larsch at belunktum.dk> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I had been tinkering with a similar project
> (http://github.com/larsch/rakeruby4win/) until I found rubyinstaller. I will
> probably abandon it now, since rubyinstaller is more complete and clean, but
> there are couple of thing's I'd like to see in RubyInstaller.

Hey Lars, welcome aboard!

> The OpenSSL library that is used for the rubyinstaller is very old. I have
> added a rake recipe to build openssl from source
> (http://github.com/larsch/rubyinstaller/commits/opensslbuild). The biggest
> problem is that it depends on a Perl installation, and the MSYS perl doesn't
> work. I have not been able to find a Perl package for windows that is easily
> downloadable & installable into the sandbox. Another small issue is that you
> need to clean up the PATH environment let it find mingw and nothing but
> mingw (the recipe does this). Other than that it appears to work.

Yeah, right now we depend on a old pre-build package since building
from sources, as you pointed, was problematic and required several
packages not included.

We consider that a task re factoring and reorganization will ease the
process, but right now we were focused in getting it done :-D

I checked you commit and saw you included mingw-make, is that just for
OpenSSL? We had several issues getting it working to build ruby
itself, so we reverted to msys-make instead.

An alternative, instead of following the batch file as suggested in
OpenSSL site is follow the configure, make and make install process.
Did you explored that way?

> I have added a recipe for pdcurses as well (on branch pdcurses).

Oh, great, the more extension being build, the better!

> A couple of minor issues I encountered:
>  - rubygems installation doesnt work if RUBYOPT is set. I added a few lines
> to clear it on my master branch.

Gordon did fix this in his fork which I didn't pulled into mine:

http://github.com/vertiginous/rubyinstaller/tree/master

>  - README.txt suggests that rubyinstaller will work with ruby 1.8.5 or
> later. I could not get it working using Ruby1.8.6-p0. There see to be some
> issues with Kernel#system when quoting the executable and directing to NUL
> at the same time. -p111 works fine however. Might be worthwhile checking the
> patch level and warning the user.

Yes, indeed:

and

Both worked for me, but didn't used a older patchlevel since latest
1.8.5 of One-Click is 1.8.6 and previous was 1.8.5

>  - git and CR/LF is somewhat a mess. Any tips? If I checkout with
> core.autocrlf=true, it breaks the WiX XML files. If I edit files with
> core.autocrlf=false, it breaks the delta on everything else.

Yeah, two things I suggest: do not use git configure core.autocrlf
false directly, please alter the etc/gitconfig file instead, since I
have seen, even with --global being used, the change do not affect the
clones or the commits.

Also change your editor to Unix (LF) instead of Windows (LF+CR) since
most of the recipes are been coded that way (to be able to use the
sandbox as cross-platform compilation recipe). Most editor today
should be able to let you configure or change that. As rule of thumb,
I alwasy set on Unix to avoid merge conflicts contributing to
projects.

> Regards,
> Lars

Again, welcome aboard and thanks for your time man!

Good week and great work man. I'll take a look to your commits and see
how can we workout those. You can use github gem to simplify pulling
from different users (use my fork of github-gem since will work with
MinGW).

Regards!