[Rubyinstaller-devel] OpenSSL update & curses support

Lars Christensen larsch at belunktum.dk
Sun Jul 6 10:20:02 EDT 2008

I had been tinkering with a similar project
(http://github.com/larsch/rakeruby4win/) until I found rubyinstaller. I
will probably abandon it now, since rubyinstaller is more complete and
clean, but there are couple of thing's I'd like to see in RubyInstaller.

The OpenSSL library that is used for the rubyinstaller is very old. I
have added a rake recipe to build openssl from source
(http://github.com/larsch/rubyinstaller/commits/opensslbuild). The
biggest problem is that it depends on a Perl installation, and the MSYS
perl doesn't work. I have not been able to find a Perl package for
windows that is easily downloadable & installable into the sandbox.
Another small issue is that you need to clean up the PATH environment
let it find mingw and nothing but mingw (the recipe does this). Other
than that it appears to work.

I have added a recipe for pdcurses as well (on branch pdcurses).

A couple of minor issues I encountered:
  - rubygems installation doesnt work if RUBYOPT is set. I added a few
lines to clear it on my master branch.
  - README.txt suggests that rubyinstaller will work with ruby 1.8.5 or
later. I could not get it working using Ruby1.8.6-p0. There see to be
some issues with Kernel#system when quoting the executable and directing
to NUL at the same time. -p111 works fine however. Might be worthwhile
checking the patch level and warning the user.
  - git and CR/LF is somewhat a mess. Any tips? If I checkout with
core.autocrlf=true, it breaks the WiX XML files. If I edit files with
core.autocrlf=false, it breaks the delta on everything else.