[Rubyinstaller-devel] Rubyinstaller-devel Digest, Vol 15, Issue 1

Roger Pack rogerpack2005 at gmail.com
Sat Jan 12 10:20:54 EST 2008

> There doesn't seem to be any discussion on this list right now, so let
> me kick something off. I contacted Curt and Luis earlier this week to
> ask what their plans were with regard to migrating the OCI to a new
> compiler. Luis seems to be working on a bootstrapping approach using
> mingw, which is fine, but I still think that the "best" thing to do
> would be to build with the Microsoft compiler on Windows, it being the
> native solution and all. Also, according to what I've read, linking
> with the newer versions of the MS C runtime has some advantages in
> terms of security and stability compared to the old msvcrt.dll that
> mingw (and vc6) links to.

I think half the reason of using mingw is to avoid the pain of
configuring VC8.  That being said VC8 supports 64-bit 'a little
better' than mingw, so an awkward trade-off.
Mingw can be built to link against (according to Luis) different
versions of the msvcrtXXX.dll, so that shoudn't be a strike against
it.  I'd say overall, since Ruby is SO entrenched in the Linux world,
it is easier to just use mingw.  That being said, I've never gotten
readline to compile on mingw (Luis has [?]), but I mean mingw also has
a setup fee.  Sigh.  Good luck!
-Roger
Note please CC me responses, as I seldom read from the list.
--
Wherefore if ye shall press forward, feasting upon the word of Christ,
and endure to the end, behold thus saith the Father: ye shall have