[Rubyinstaller-devel] Building Ruby + extensions with modern Visual C++

Luis Lavena luislavena at gmail.com
Sat Jan 12 07:50:40 EST 2008

On Jan 12, 2008 4:55 AM, Curt Hibbs <curt.hibbs at gmail.com> wrote:
> Remember that you also have to build all of the extensions and RubyGems
> because the binaries produced with VC2008 use a different runtime dll than
> VC6 and you can't mix them without causing problems.

That will not be a problem, since the changes I introduced in RubyGems
(before they released version 1.0.x)  make a strong difference between
VC6 and VC8/VC9.

So gems pre-built for VC6 can co-exist with ones for VC8 (on
rubyforge), but you can't install VC8 gems on top of VC6 ruby (or vice
versa).

Multimedia systems
-
A common mistake that people make when trying to design
something completely foolproof is to underestimate
the ingenuity of complete fools.