[Rubyinstaller-devel] Development Kit as Gem?

Luis Lavena luislavena at gmail.com
Mon Dec 29 22:13:58 EST 2008

Hello Everybody,

I'll like to know your thoughts about the new Development Kit (MinGW+MSYS).

First I'll like to explain the difficulties around it.

1) RubyInstaller (One-Click) is released under MIT/Ruby License.

For that, RubyInstaller can no loner bundle gems or packages that are
not license compatible (this includes GPL packages). LGPL like Dlls
can be bundled without issues.

2) MinGW and MSYS are GPL

For the distribution purposes, a new installer with a new codebase
under GPL license needs to be created. Also the source version of
MinGW needs to be distributed or offered, thus defeating the purpose
of distribution of the Installer.

Under that circumstance, I've been thinking on Roger Pack's suggestion
of a devkit gem.

The gem, instead of bundle all those files (20MB worth of binaries)
will include the recipes for downloading and unpacking both MinGW and
MSYS and setting the proper batch files.

This is something similar what rake-compiler does with "cross-ruby"
task. Instead of bundling ruby code, it just downloads it.

In that way, RubyInstaller will no need to split codebase, change
licenses or anything.

Suggestions? comments? I had this discussion with my lawer a couple of
weeks ago but didn't find the time to comment on this, sorry.

Regards and happy new year to everybody!