[Rubyinstaller-devel] Non-working gems (like id3lib-ruby)

Luis Lavena luislavena at gmail.com
Fri Dec 5 08:40:17 EST 2008

On Fri, Dec 5, 2008 at 3:30 AM, Charles Roper
<reachme at charlesroper.co.uk> wrote:
> Luis Lavena wrote:
>>> I've been trying out the MinGW version of Ruby and have come across a few
>>> gems that don't install. Most of these, I think, are already known about
>>> (like hpricot), but some others perhaps aren't. Is it worth me posting
>>> those
>>> that I have tried to install but had problems with, or is it not worth
>>> it?
>> Well, collecting a list of these gems will be helpful, maybe a
>> blacklist of gems and the contact information of the developer for us
>> to poke them? ;-)
> OK, I'll do that. :)
>>> Should I instead contact the author of the gems directly?
>> Yes, indeed, and point them to integrate rake-compiler, which soon
>> will get the rubyforge project approved ;-)
> Gotcha. Where, for now, is the primary page for rake-compiler? Is it the
> github page?

Yay, RubyForge project got approved:

I need to add my rubyforge release task to the project and we are set to go :-)

In any case, getting more documentation from GitHub is also a good place:

>>> http://id3lib-ruby.rubyforge.org/doc/files/INSTALL.html
>>> In the light of Luis's rake-compiler, what would be the best way of
>>> improving the installation of this gem?
>> If the project is in github, fork the project, integrate the
>> enhacements using rake-compiler and send a pull request to the
>> developer.
>> if they are using subversion, try to generate some patches.
>> Either the new RubyInstaller and the cross compiler have stdc++, so
>> build c++ extensions will be easy.
> OK, that is information I'll pass onto the gem author.
>>> Another gem that breaks under MinGW is proj4rb:
>>> http://rubyforge.org/projects/proj4rb/
>> I have no knowledge of those, but let's add those to a black list in the
>> wiki?
> Great. What wiki should I use?

RubyInstaller Wiki:

Let's create a new section "Blacklisted gems" and start collecting
both gem names, project pages and authors ;-)